Saturday, June 12, 2010

June 9th, Moving to Grand Junction, Colorado

Wednesday, June 9th.
Moving on from Colorado Springs to Grand Junction we took CO-24 over to I-25 up to Denver, then around on I-470 to I-70 West. The run over the mountain passes took some doing, as the top of the pass was around 11,900 feet, very impressive, but coming down six and seven percent grades for mile after mile west of the divide took some breaking. Basically we held with truck speeds, and thank goodness for the Chevy engine brake and six speed transmission. Carl made abundant use of second gear at 35-40 mph during the steepest portions. The trip through Glenwood Canyon was breathtaking and one of the most impressive trips that I have made. I can't even describe the beauty of that canyon.
Passed around a number of towns of legend and repute as ski resorts and the vacation spa of the rich and famous, such as Vail, Steamboat Springs, and Aspen.
Arriving at the "RV Ranch CG" about 4:30 p.m. we have completed 1987 miles from the start. Carl and I stopped for fuel in my pickup and he used his charms to find out that "Rib City" was the "spot the locals go". Excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment