Wednesday, June 16, 2010

June 14th Trip through Arches NP


Monday June 14th drive through Arches National Park. Today we all loaded into the truck and drove north to the entrance to Arches National Park. At the park entrance we stopped at the Visitors Center to learn something of the geologic formations and how they came to be what we see today. The formative process, as in the nearby Colorado Monument, was a series of flat swampland, inland seas, eventual drying out to create deserts with flowing sand dunes, followed by more of the same sequence over several times over the last 300 million years. The layers of each of these processes is very apparent in the layers making up the park. Dramatic, beautiful, awe inspiring - yes it lives up to every description that you have ever heard about this park. I was a little dissapointed that the road out to "Delicate Arch" was closed by rock slides so we were not able to see it. Stopped at the "Windows" and walked up to the top to see through to the valley on the other side. Breathtaking.

1 comment:

  1. As I look this over I think of Jim and Jane who MUST have gone off-roading with their Jeep in this area. I'll talk with them when we return in August.

    ReplyDelete